- 2013 Government Shutdown Update (As of October 22, 2013)
- Staffing levels at all offices and appeal levels will return to normal;
- Claims will once again be processed in a reasonably timely manner;
- Appeals of denials of social security claims will also be processed in a reasonably timely manner;
- Checks scheduled for payment on previously granted claims will continue and checks will now be issued on newly granted claims as well.
At the 11th hour, the Republican Party relented and agreed that our government could continue to function financially, at least for a few more months. The immediate impact of this agreement on Social Security claims is as follows:
Unfortunately, in addition to losing three weeks out of its work cycle, there will be certain inefficiencies while Social Security and the other government components get back up to speed. Thus, the penalty to Social Security claimants and recipients will likely be measured in months of delay, not weeks.
Also unfortunately, the agreement expires on January 15, 2014 with regard to the government’s budget. And, they only agreed to extend the debt ceiling until February 7, 2014. This means that the recent three week government shutdown drama may be repeated in the very near future.
- Attorney Mike Mooney Appears on Channel 19 Program “Moore Law”
- Attorneys Mike Mooney and Steve Olden Speak at the Social Security Disability Law Seminar at the Cincinnati Bar Association
- Attorney Mike Mooney Offers Advice for Veteran’s Disability Benefits on Channel 19 Program “Moore Law”
You can view the TV show here as attorney Mooney explains the Social Security Disability program and answers legal questions about the disability system called in by Channel 19's viewers: The program aired on Monday, August 6th, 2012.
Mike Mooney and Steve Olden each were speakers at the annual all-day Social Security Disability Law seminar held on May 3, 2013 at the Cincinnati Bar Association. Mr. Mooney was on an “Ask The Experts” panel and also presented a separate session on ethics for attorneys practicing disability law. Mr. Olden presented a session on handling claims for disabled children. Over 100 people attended this day-long seminar. Mr. Mooney and Mr. Olden have been speakers at this annual event many times in previous years.
Attorney Mooney was a guest again on Channel 19's Moore Law program on Veterans Day, November 12, 2012. He explained the workings of the Department of Veterans Affairs disability benefits system for wounded veterans and their families. You can view the TV show here as attorney Mooney answered several questions called in by viewers about the VA system. (see link above)